I know you all are out in the world doing great things to make the world a better place and having fun while you are doing it. All of you are attending (or have attended) graduations, weddings, parties, etc. and for those special days you wear makeup that does not come off. Trust me I know, but the one question I’ve been getting from friends and from some of you is how to I get my skin back to normal after one of these big days? While you are at your big day event the temperature and elements can mess with your skin and makeup. So below I have outlined what I do to get my balanced skin back after a big day (yes, I did this recently for my cousin’s wedding)
- Take it off! Whatever you put on your face must come off at the end of the day, especially if you wore heavy makeup. I know there are several of you reading this and saying “but I didn’t get home until 2:00 AM”. Regardless of how late (or early in the morning) you get home take the makeup off. Trust me if you have been dancing that means you are sweating, leaving a combination of sweat and makeup on your face is like telling bacteria “come and live on my face, the bigger the break out you cause the better” and no one wants that.I usually do a double cleanse which starts with Jojoba oil to remove my eye makeup and then wash my whole face with the Murad Essential C cleanser. Whatever time you get home, whatever you use, take the makeup off and your skin will thank you later.
- Do not wear makeup the next day! After putting all that makeup on your face you need to let your skin and your pores breath. If you insist on it (which I don’t recommend) just stick to eye makeup and nothing else.
- Deep clean your skin! In the morning go ahead and do a detox mask. Your favorite one, just make sure that it is going to get in there and clean your pores out. My favorites mask are the Peter Thomas Roth Irish Moor Mask and the Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask for this but you can use your favorite one. Under these circumstances I will leave the mask on for 30- 60 minutes to get some extra cleansing action.When I need a super deep clean I rinse the mask off using my clearsonic which helps to get additional junk out of my skin.
- Use a serum! After your skin is nice and clean now is the time to continue those good skin care habits. I use a combination of B5 and vitamin c serum from Dermaquest. It sinks into the skin quickly and repairs and protects my skin, which is want you want.
- Use a moisturizer! No, serum is not a moisturizer so you can’t skip this step. Moisturizer ensures your skin stays soft and healthy and after you have probably dehydrated your skin with all that makeup and partying you will want to give yourself that healthy glow. Rigt now I’m really liking the Dermaquest Essential Mosturizer.
- Hydrating mist during the day. Sometimes heavy makeup usage (even if it is for one day) will cause some dryness and for this I say throughout the day use a hydrating mist that will add moisture and leave you skin soft. My favorite is the as you can put it on whether or not you are wearing makeup, is the Dermalogica Antioxidant Hydramist
- Spot Treat if necessary. If won’t be out of the ordinary for a pimple to pop up as a result. If you need to spot treat go ahead and do so.
- Hydrating mask at night! After all this after care you want to make sure you don’t strip your skin dry. If you are like me and already have dry skin then you may feel a little dryer than normal after completing the steps above which is why a hydrating mask at night will help. Pick a mask that will work with your skin type, I happen to love the Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell mask (don’t ask me why that brand just has my heart when it comes to masks).
- Keep the routine going! Makeup looks good on skin that is taken care of and well maintained on a regular basis plus it’s also the best way to prevent the signs of aging.
In the comments section below let me know what you use to keep your skin balanced or to recover from a big day.
Products mentioned (products are linked to where you can purchase them)
- Peter Thomas Roth Irish Moor MUD Mask
- Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask
- Peter Thomas Roth Stem Cell Mask
- Dermaquest B5 Serum (need to locate a retailer)
- Dermaquest Vitamin C Serum (need to locate a retailer)
- Dermalogica Antioxidant Hydrmist
If you have any questions you would like for me to answer in a blog post, email me at email@example.com
P.S. My blog post is not sponsored by Peter Thomas Rith, Dermaquest or any of the other products mentioned. All thoughts are my own and all products have been purchased with my own funds.